Wednesday, May 16, 2012

2 Legit 2 Quit...

It's official...I mean really officially official...I am a registered yoga alliance trained instructor. You can look me up in the Yoga Alliance directory. I am on my way, officially! Playing by the rules and becoming a LEGIT yoga instructor has definitely been a lot of work, but so worth it. The training I have received is priceless, the most valuable thing I own I believe. I am working toward my E-RYT by logging in hours of teaching...once I get up to 2000 hours, I get to put that little E in front of my RYT. I think I have close to 60 now (they only count AFTER you complete the 200 hr training program).



All of this comes at a price, though, and makes me understand why there are many instructors who don't even bother with all of this stuff. Don't let all of us yoga teachers fool you....this business is expensive! You have to pay for your training, books, yoga clothes, mats, props, coconut waters to revive you, business cards, insurance, more yoga clothes, workshops, music and pedicures! Yikes! And don't forget to save every receipt you get now that you have to write it all off at the end of the year. The reason that all of this red tape is worth wading through is because I believe that its really important for there to be some kind of standard among teachers. Some type of measuring yardstick that helps studios and students find an appropriate and well-trained instructor. I can't help but sing, "Too LEGIT, too legit to quit!


Added bonus: Your James Brown fix for the day! 

4 comments:

  1. Good God! I’m glad that you included the video because the song was already going through my head when I saw the title. I had forgotten that James Brown was in that video…

    This is my official congratulations to you for being a legit yoga teacher. :) I didn’t know about the E-RYT though. I’m sure that the journey toward the ‘E’ will be amazing.

    I dig that “Buy the Ticket…” tag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, now I'm a bit curious about how you report or keep track of your hours...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You enter them into a website.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats!!! You deserve it all :)

    ReplyDelete