Monday, May 28, 2012

Praise You Like I Should...

My personal practice is something that I have come to cherish. It has taken some work to get here though. I used to believe that you have to do everything like a "yogi" should, practice at 5 am, listen to music sung in sanskrit, eat only vegetables...these standards were intimidating and made me feel like if I didn't do it the right way I wasn't a real yogi. I have come to a new perspective about yoga, a broader one. On this journey, I am realizing that it is better for me to do things how they come instinctively to me. My feelings and intuition can be used as a compass that guides me towards what will fulfill me and keep me balanced. I am still moving towards integrating a more yogic lifestyle, but have relaxed my timeline. Instead of expecting this huge lifestyle change overnight, instead of pushing for what I think I should be or do, I have decided to proceed by first doing what naturally occurs to me and listening to my own inner wisdom. Trying to tune in to my own spirit and intuition while being mindful of each moment as it unfolds... This is yoga. This union of the body, mind, spirit and breath. It can happen anywhere...singing at the top of your lungs speeding down the highway with the wind in your hair, sipping that first cup of coffee in your quiet kitchen when the sky is still purple and day is breaking, when your child smiles at you and your whole being smiles back, in each moment is an opportunity to tap in and be totally present.


"We've come a long long way together
 Through the hard times and the good.
 I have to celebrate you baby,
 I have to praise you like I should."

Today I am reminded that this is the goal of yoga, on and off your mat....follow your instincts, tap in, turn on, make yourself feel better, this instant! Get comfy, the best you can do in each situation. Let yourself shine, give yourself a fighting chance by being so kind and loving to yourself and making it easy for yourself to feel a sense of well being.....so this is my weekend of letting myself and my life flow and feeling good.

I followed my instincts and......I saw a bad horror movie at the theater and indulged...drank a huge cherry coke and ate buttered popcorn. Jumped 12 feet in the air screaming like a little girl at that spot in the movie when you are supposed to jump and Tim laughed so so hard I thought we might get kicked out. I taught a beautiful outdoor practice Saturday morning and let it all flow from me naturally, no notes in my composition book as usual. I left completely inspired by a lovely group of extraordinary yogis and by what can happen spontaneously when you just relax. Walked the few blocks to downtown Edwardsville and we had a lovely brunch at Cleveland Heath, of french toast with cream and cherry jam and a bloody mary ( I rarely drink so this was a fun instinct to follow). The combination of sweet and decadent, spicy and sour (and vodka and sugar) put me in a mellow, happy state. A slow stroll home and naptime called. Tried to get to my mat, but it felt better to do less and pamper my sore shoulder. Today I have had a peaceful morning of coffee and breakfast, and spending great downtime with my man and my dog...and I returned to the mat. It felt so good.

My dog, Bear E. White with favorite duck toy


For my personal practice following my instincts entirely has been the key to making it possible to stick with it. Listening to music is one thing that can make your home practice more fun and attractive to you. I'm not always inspired by Krisna Das chanting cds or instrumental harp music...which I have and listen to and love very much....but sometimes more contemporary tunes really lift me up. The music that inspires me is different everyday! So this morning instead of throwing on my standard Steve Gold cd (almost worn through--it's so good), I made an impromptu playlist quickly scrolling through my library and selecting anything that called to me. I got a truly fantastic mix that suited my mood perfectly. I found myself doing core work to Jackson Five, balancing to Beck, flowing to Gorillaz and backbending to the Black Keys. This practice was so deep and inspired for me--soulful and energetic, it was the best home practice I have had in a long long time and exactly what I needed in this moment. I loved the mash up of the beat and my breath, the music kept me moving and the sweat pouring off of me. By the end of the playlist, I was totally spent and lay on my mat in savasana, no sound remained except the soft blowing of the ceiling fan and my own breath. There is so much freedom in that moment, everything poured out on your mat, feeling your breath, being mindful and present.  That freedom is the most beautiful thing about your own home practice.



My Personal Practice Playlist for Memorial Day 2012 :

Jackson Five "I Don't Know Why I Love You" "I Want You Back" "Dancing Machine"
Fatboy Slim  "Praise You"
Gorillaz "All Alone" "All Alone" "Dirty Harry" "Last Living Souls"
Beastie Boys "Flute Loop" "Sabrosa" "Bodhisattva Vow" "Get It Together"
Busta Rhymes "Rastaman Chant"
Gnarls Barkley "Crazy"
Beck "Missing" "Black Tamborine" "Earthquake Weather"
Black Keys "Act Nice and Gentle" "Everlasting Light" "Tighten Up" "Have Love Will Travel" "Countdown"
Jamiroquai  "Canned Heat 7th Edit" "Feels So Good" "Virtual Insanity" "You Give Me Something"


2 comments:

  1. If being a yogi required getting up at 5 a.m., I would definitely get kicked out of the club. :)

    When I read the Happiness Project, the one thing that stuck with me is the cutting yourself slack part and it’s been my yearly resolution since I read the book.

    I’m glad that you are letting your instincts guide you and, overall, I think Shakespeare had it right: to thine ownself be true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The Happiness Project" may be next on my must-read list...sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete