Sunday, May 20, 2012

Blessed Up and Blissed Out!!

First classes are always interesting!

Yesterday, I taught my first outdoor yoga class in Granite City and it didn't disappoint! I was a bit concerned that maybe nobody would show up. Of course, I was wrong and had a lovely group of yogis that came to share their energy with me. Sure, there were groups of giggling graduates taking photos behind us by the fountain in the park and there were a few emergency vehicles that flew by with sirens a-blazing. But overall, the group was focused and kind, the sun was shining and the breeze was warm. Truly, it couldn't have been a more inspiring day and practice! Favorite moment: students lying in savasana, birds singing.



After the outdoor class finished up, I took flight myself and soared along 270 to Edwardsville to teach my first ever private class at Hot Yoga. I couldn't ask for a better second, first class of the day! The two clients, who happen to be a few of my favorite students, booked this class for their friends and family to come and try out this "crazy workout" that they had been doing. I assumed that the newcomers were just nervous about attending a class with others who might be judgmental or more physically fit, etc. I was wrong...they were quite athletic and it was actually because they are all total cut-ups and had a very difficult time keeping it serious. What a fun class to get to teach! My favorite moment was when the whole class squatted down to get ready for standing forward fold and every knee in the building cracked or popped at the same moment! Got a great laugh! 

(sounds overheard in yoga class)


I had an hour or so and ran home to take my second shower of the day. Then it was back to Hot Yoga for a vinyasa workshop with my teacher Emmet Schmelig. I was almost spent when I arrived back at the studio and the 2 hour practice of flow yoga polished me off nicely. It was an incredible practice. I was interested in  being able to measure my own strength in comparison to where I was the first time I practiced with Emmet last September. I could barely do one chaturanga then. Now I am able to do everything in the practice and still keep my breathing steady and long. I even was able to bind in extended side angle and trikonasana, which I hadn't tried before. Favorite moment: my own savasana, listening to Emmet tell us that "you are perfect just the way you are."

my dear friend and teacher Emmet Schmelig


Finished the evening with a third shower, a large Dewey's pizza and an early bedtime.

Although every single tiny muscle in my entire body is sore today, there is a total contentment and calmness that is with me still. Yoga hangover...totally blissed-out!! I wouldn't have traded yesterday for anything! There is no question in my mind that it was a gift and a blessing. Namaste.


2 comments:

  1. As Erykah Badu would say: what a day, what a day…

    So, long time ago, I listened to DJ Dave’s “Yoga Girl,” heard chaturanga and just thought he was being silly. So, yeah, I’m gonna go ahead and put chaturanga in the learn-something-new-every-day category.

    Can’t wait to get my first real yoga hangover. I’m going to sing Diana Ross – if there’s a cure for this, I don’t want it…

    ReplyDelete